Friday, January 16, 2009

Thoughts

I've had the same thoughts. I don't want to be a garage sale or bargain bin bookseller (you are what you eat as they say). I think we should search for and purchase only the best quality used and rare books --- and I'm not against selling new books, maybe put up a professional site and then dig deep into the world of "professional" booksellers. I think somwhere between the Black Swan and The Cracked Book is our niche.

I spoke with the former owner of TCV today -- he has a cube next to mine -- he revamped a bankrupt company and made it profitable. He had several pieces of advice: 1) your "footprint" is important. He thought serving the community was important but no to sure if Southside was a good location 2) look for a bookstore going out of business...this may take a while...but there is already an established customer base 3) For money. He believes in OPM - Other People's Money, ie applying for credit and loans to pay for operating costs 4) the web site is a good idea.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment